As you listen to my archived & upcoming radio shows, you’ll hear me talk about “Walt’s Rules for Overcoming Stage Fright.” These are lessons I’ve learned throughout the years that have helped me overcome my fears and become more successful in life.
I hope they are helpful and inspiring to you, too.
1. Just because you couldn’t, doesn’t mean you can’t.
2. Take small steps
3. Say Yes, and figure it out later
3a. Never Turn Down Stage time
3b. When opportunity knocks, answer the door
3c. When you come to a fork in the road, take it
4. Use personal stories (People are interested in what you have to say!)
5. Just show up … Conferences, Speech Contests, et al.
6. Invest in yourself
7. There is no elevator to success, you have to take the stairs
8. Make eye contact
9. Bo knows (apply cross-training, like improv and stand-up, to get better)
10. Be nice to people when you don’t need anything from them
11. You can’t just study, you have to do the work
12. Test yourself by taking on new challenges
13. Have fun!
14. Perfection is the enemy of progress
15. Record yourself (video or audio). You believe what you see and hear more than what someone tells you.